About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The joys of ADHD

Oh, the joys of dealing with ADHD. Over the years we've learned to give meds an hour before Peter is to wake up, so we have a less "interesting" morning while getting ready for school. (We're not too fond of incessantly repeating ourselves, you know...). Today was a morning we forgot. Ugh~not fun for anyone. I can't imagine Peter's frustration of being constantly called back to the task at hand, like eating his breakfast. I can imagine our frustration when we have to do it. Don't tell me ADHD is just a crutch for teachers to keep control of their classrooms. It is VERY real. Do I believe it is over-diagnosed? Yes, I do. It is a difficult diagnosis to achieve, and using Ritalin as a diagnosis tool is ineffective, since just about everyone can benefit from a little Ritalin (to quote Peter's psychiatrist). Do I believe we've received an error in diagnosis? No, I most certainly do not. Do I allow ADHD to be a crutch to my kid? I try not to, though it may seem that we do, even to members of our own family. I'm a firm believer in picking my battles with each of my children, and letting the natural consequences take their course in those I choose not to fight. Do the lessons get learned right away? Nope. Do I ever learn my lessons the first time? Nope, God's still working on me, too.

No comments: