About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Bright Title, Dark Subject


Brouwer's The Canary List was an easy selection for me. I was introduced to his work several years ago, and have been hooked on anything that bears his name ever since.


I wasn't disappointed with my choice. He had me from the first word of the prologue. Brouwer skillfully weaves a tale of intrigue and wonder. Making me question whether such events might truly take place within the confines of the organized church.

I'm a firm believer in Satan's attempts to deceive and infiltrate the good work Christ has accomplished, so this book wasn't necessarily shocking in it's content, but nevertheless I found it disturbing. While convincing, to discover that one of the characters was cavalier about what he was fighting for left me questioning which side, darkness or light, truly won out in the end.

I am grateful to know the end of the story, and that when the last day comes I am securely on the side of The Light.

You can pre-order the book here.
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been hearing the this book has the Catholic Church in it and, by how some are talking about it, I am a little consurned. Does this book in any way make the Catholic Church out to be the bad guy?

Miriam said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Catholic Church is made out to be the bad guy, but it does show the possiblity that it may not be as holy as some think. That said, *no* denomination of Christ's church is perfectly holy...isn't that evidenced by that there are so many?
I eagerly await the day when the church truly will be holy again, don't you?

Rachel said...

Yah, since Jesus is perfection, it will only happen when Jesus comes again.

Rachel said...

So do you mean that the book is saying that individuals within the church are not holy or the Catholic Church itself is not holy? Just wanted to get that straight.

Miriam said...

Rachel, I will leave that up to you, but I can't say that it pointed to more than individuals

Rachel said...

Thanks for the information.