About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Little "Necessities"?

Due to our continued financial crunch, I've been putting more thought into what makes it on my grocery list, and from there what actually makes it into my cart!

Take for instance, aluminum foil--at what point did it become a must have item in every American household? Is it handy? Sure! Do I really need it? Not really, yet when I run out, I am quick to replace it. Granted, I do my best to throw the consumed foil into the recycling bin, but still.

Perhaps part of my thinking is coming from having read The Restoration Series by Terri Blackstock. I put the last one down some time ago, but these have stayed with me. What if I was suddenly and unexpectedly stripped of the use of my car, my phone, computer--anything electrical? How would I cope? Remember my tap water is also powered by electricity in some form or another at the purification plant.

What about you? What little "necessities" do you have that you could just as easily live without?

Will I replenish my aluminum foil when it runs out? Perhaps, but perhaps I'll see how living without it for a while goes, and maybe never get it again!

3 comments:

Steph said...

I started the series with Terri Blackstock and I quit - very scary. How about zip - lock bags. I can remember my mom washing baggies out and re-using them - I don't but I probably should.

janelle said...

So many things I "couldn't live without" just because I am so spoiled. The truth is, our lives have gotten so convenient and so wasteful at the same time.

But you've got me thinking...

Annie said...

I can live without television, cell phones too but don't take away batteries. Cause when storms knock out the power in my house, I can flip on a flashlight, forget about the annoyance for a while and lose myself in a book.