About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Being met at the Corners

Following is a devotional I receive via email each day...it spoke to my heart, I pray it does yours, too.

Psalm 59:1-10
Deliver me from my enemies, O God;
protect me from those who rise up against me.
Deliver me from evildoers
and save me from bloodthirsty men.
See how they lie in wait for me!
Fierce men conspire against me
for no offense or sin of mine, O LORD.
I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me.
Arise to help me; look on my plight!
O LORD God Almighty, the God of Israel, rouse yourself to punish all the nations; show no mercy to wicked traitors.
Selah
They return at evening,
snarling like dogs,
and prowl about the city.
See what they spew from their mouths--
they spew out swords from their lips,
and they say, "Who can hear us?"
But you, O LORD, laugh at them;
you scoff at all those nations.
O my Strength, I watch for you;
you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.
God will go before me
and will let me gloat over those who slander me.

(NIV)

God Meets Us at the Corner
by Lou Lotz

My God in his steadfast love will meet me. (v. 10)

Have you ever thought of life as a succession of corners? Not for long do we go in a straight line in life. Rather, things happen that take us in a completely different direction -- we turn a corner. When you get pregnant, you turn a corner. When you become a parent, you turn a corner. The death of a spouse is a corner. Getting a new job.
Moving to a new house, a new neighborhood. Getting married -- now there's a big corner. Graduating from school. The death of a parent.
There are a lot of corners in life, and you never really know what's waiting for you around the corner.

In the King James Version, Psalm 59:10 reads: "The God of my mercy shall prevent me . . ." The Elizabethan word prevent means "to go ahead of, to go before." The NRSV says: "My God in his steadfast love will meet me." I like that. Whatever corner we come to, God meets us there.

You're coming to a corner. Can you see it up ahead? All this time you've been going in a certain direction, but now comes the corner, and things will be different. Your life is about to take a turn. Hang on. We don't know what awaits us around the next corner. But we know who awaits us.


Lord, meet me at the corner.

Today's Words of HOPE daily meditation is available on the web at http://www.woh.org/devo/

No comments: