About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Communion Thoughts

In the congregation I worship with, the bread we use for communion isn't cut up, or in small pieces. When we take communion, each individual tears a piece off the loaf in order to partake of it. The bread symbolizes Christ's body. As we tear into that loaf, I am reminded of how my sin is what Jesus bore on the cross--my sin tore into his flesh.
After communion, I look at the remains of the loaf of bread, no longer perfect, yet symbolizing the anguish Jesus went through for me and the rest of those he came to save; I see a thing of great beauty.
Jesus commands us to observe communion, to remember what he did, to be spiritually nourished by the profound wonder of it all. What would posses an innocent man to die as he did for a perishing humanity who turned their back on him other than an immense love for that humanity whom he created to be in perfect fellowship with him? Jesus died for the sins I commit on a daily basis, he forgives those sins when I go to him in faith, he loves me with the greatest love of all, himself.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Isn't God wonderful - We are so ugly before God takes us to make us whole!God is good! How did no coffee work over last weekend?

Miriam said...

No coffee was definately interesting, I did break down a couple of times in desperation and sought some out... (grin)