About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Friday, September 21, 2007

Married with children


I've often heard that when a married couple is out on a date they should not talk about their kids. But why not? My husband and I have tried this, and honestly it doesn't work. But when we "allow" the topic, we've found that other topics blossom from our conversation, and we end up having a great time in which we feel we've drawn closer. So my advice is about any topic of conversation is game, but to temper any "criticisms" with "I feel like..." and remember that the "attackee" needs to take time to completely understand the "attacker" before launching into defense mode. A helpful way of remembering this is called the Speaker-Listener technique. It seems silly and trite when you're in the middle of it, but the sense of knowing you're truly understood by your spouse is priceless. I challenge you to take the time to master this technique, participate in a workshop, your marriage is worth it! (And so are you!)

No comments: