About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Adoption, God, and me

The thought of adoption has been on my mind lately (yes, it has a lot to do with my friends who are picking up their son from China right now). Something Carey journaled today struck a chord with me...

Part of today was rough for Jaden. He had a couple of spells where he was inconsolable. He didn't want to be held and he absolutely didn't want to be put down. Finally Brandy and I prayed together while holding him. God is good. About 5 seconds after we were done he completely calmed down. He's been through a lot in his short little life. He was left as a newborn (newborns do know when their mama isn't around...they recognize her voice from the womb), at 6 months he was taken from his foster mom, and now, even tho the orphanage wasn't the best setting for him...it's what he knew. We are watching him flourish under our love, but still life is confusing and so very new and none of his routine is the same. Please pray for his adjustment.

Isn't that a lot like being adopted into God's family? When we receive Jesus as Savior from our sins and its condemnation, death, don't we too go through "spells" of being inconsolable (not fully trusting God) when we're either literally or figuratively kicking and screaming and unable to figure out what we really want. When we're trying to get used to hearing God's voice rather than the one we were birthed with (original sin) but there's confusion there because we've known this voice all along and suddenly it's either not there anymore or we know its wrong and we shouldn't listen to it, but yet it's the easiest thing to hear so we listen to it rather than searching out the still small VOICE that is our only real hope. It's been like that ever since sin entered the world. People choose to go with what's comfortable, rather than what's best for them. Look at the Israelites! They wanted to go back to being slaves in Egypt rather than endure a little hardship of walking through the desert--they could have been in the promised land much sooner, if they'd only trusted the two small voices of Caleb and Joshua rather than the ten loud voices of mistrust and fear. Instead they had to endure 40 years in the desert, 1/10th of the time they were enslaved, while they learned what it meant to trust God in everything. They still failed often, but in the end God's faithfulness won out. I have other friends who's adopted son is struggling with attachment disorder, though he was put in their arms when he was only 3 days old! THAT'S how strong the en-utero bond is between mother and child! And that's how strong the hold sin has on my life a lot of the time.
I've fought with my Adopted Father so many times about how He's letting things happen in my life, I kick and scream (yes, literally sometimes) and say how not fair it is, and what does God do?

The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17


God delights in me! Just as my friends delight in their new son! Their prayer today was them rejoicing over him with singing! God does that for me, too...
And why wouldn't He? I don't think my friends would tell you that they love their "bio" children more than they love their adopted one, neither does God love his own son more than he loves me...in fact He let his Son die on the cross so that I could even BE His child! Wow! I don't know of any parent alive that would be willing to sacrifice their own flesh and blood to make adopting another child possible. Isn't God amazing?
I'll never be the same.

1 comment:

Carey said...

Hey Girl! I'm comin alive enough to catch up on your blog. Wow, love your adoption/sin anology. Maybe you should think about becoming a table leader? :) Seriously, it really struck me...God-inspired. Praying God leads you in His Direction for the vineyard.