About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Me & Moses

Our small group is studying Exodus. And besides the fact that I have studied the book in the past, I learn about myself every time. I can't help but put myself in Moses sandals, and I superimpose my voice over his in my "What are you THINKING?!?!?" tone of disbelief to God. Trying to see it through Moses's eyes is amazing--and I love it that Moses does put up a fuss about the thought of leading 500,000 or so people out of slavery. Often we get this picture of Moses feeling completely confident in all he does, and not at all worried about what it is God wants him to do. The fact is that Moses DOES care, and is GREATLY worried, and is probably shaking in his sandals over what is happening to his life. All he wants is to be able to mind his own business and tend the sheep, stay far away from the people who are out to kill him--since he DID murder someone in another country--and live his life in peace, when WHAM! God sets a bush on fire to get his attention and gives the course of his life a complete 180!
I get it that Moses would argue with God. I also get it that God would win. I get it that God tells him to rest assured, Moses won't be alone, God will go with him. He would have to! Without God's power, there's no way the Exodus would have taken place!
So why don't I get it that God promises to go with me through my life's journey? Why do I feel alone and isolated at times? God has called me to lead three great kids through their childhood and adolescence, and there's too often when I'm ready to throw in the towel and call it quits. I admit that I have "denied" being "Mom" to anyone come the end of the day--I've simply had it! But then there are my friends who God calls to come along side me pressing me on towards the goal, being the hands and feet of God.
Through their encouragement, through the promises I cling to from scripture, through Christ who gives me strength, I can say, "In Jesus' name, I press on!"

No comments: