About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A nod to my creative & practical side

I've long been a fan of using a bag of rice heated in the microwave as a heating pad for whatever aches and pains one might have. The beauty of luscious heat on whatever random pain I may have and the ability to fall asleep with the "heating pad" on, because it isn't electrical to begin with!

So, recently I came upon a genius idea for making these little bags for practically FREE! And virtually no sewing either!

You know how sheets & pillowcases are starting to come in their own little storage sacks? I don't know about you, but for the life of me I can't refold the sheets small enough to fit them back into that bag for storage, but neither can I force myself to throw away such a handy little bag! (Are you starting to see where I'm going with this?) One use I've found for them is using them as a in-machine laundry bag for my delicates, the drawstring feature makes them perfect for this!

Now, on to the rice bag. First, turn the bag inside-out. This will ensure you have a lovely finished exterior when your rice pack is complete.


Now, fill the inside-out bag with 1 pound of regular old white rice.


Next, measuring approximately 1/2 way up on the filled bag, sew a straight seam across the width of the bag, sealing the rice in the bottom of the bag.




Now, turn the drawstring half of the bag over the rice filled end of the bag and cinch up the drawstring.


Voila! Now heat your little wonder of a bag for about 1-1/2 minutes on High in your microwave, place on the achy-sore spot, and relax! You won't fall asleep with a electrical heating pad threatening to catch on fire if  you use it while you sleep!


Bookmark and Share

No comments: