About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

18 years ago

I'd recently discovered I was pregnant for the second time (I'd miscarried about a year previous.)
For Christmas, we'd given our parents cards letting them know they would be adding a grandchild, in the case of Mark's mom, and becoming grandparents, in the case of my mom & dad.
And I was nervous. Even though I'd "surpassed" the miscarriage pregnancy by 6 or 7 weeks, I was scared. But we had a beautiful tape of a strong heartbeat.
Eighteen years ago, 2011 seemed forever away. A lifetime. Plenty of time to impart the wisdom & values I had along to my offspring. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to be on the cusp of launching our first fledgling out of the nest. But here I am. Ready or not.
In May, a few short months from now, she will receive a diploma, likely with honors. And in August, we will move her onto a college campus, location yet to be determined.
Eighteen years ago, her dad and I wondered what kind of childhood pressures our baby would face. Had we known then what we know now, we would have been frightened out of our minds, driven to our knees at every turn, praying for God's wisdom and strength and comfort.
But we didn't know. But we still were. Frightened. On our knees. Placing her in His grip.
And today, eighteen years later, I. Still. Pray.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Carey said...

You've done a good job, Mom. Those knees are calloused, I'm sure. I can't imagine my first heading off! Praying for you as you let go and let God.