About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Friday, December 5, 2008

A tale of three nativity sets

My Christmas decorations are set up. It's not much, really, compared to some, but I like them. Within the scheme of my decorations are three different nativity sets, three creches. two of them are beautiful, one not so much. I'll show you what I mean.


This first one, is something of a theme of blue, silver and gold. The gift bag in the back is a reminder to me that Christ is truly the greatest gift of all. The candle to the side, that Jesus is the light of the world, and he lights up the darkness. The gold at the base, that I need to cherish Jesus gift above all.


The second one is set in front of our Advent Candle. I considered removing the baby Jesus until Christmas morning, but I was afraid I'd forget where I tucked him away to. So he's with the set, and the candles lit in anticipation of his coming shine over the place where he lays. There is no white Christ candle in the wreath, so the white set seemed fitting to accompany the Advent candle.




This is the last one, hidden away a bit on my piano, rather than the ones more prominently displayed. Maybe I should change that. Regardless, this third set is a quiet, gentle reminder that I am accepted by Jesus no matter what I am, no matter what I've done. It's a hodgepodge of a collection of mismatched items that didn't come together in a box. The three wise men are too small, the little drummer boy too large. Even the angels don't match. But everyone in the scene is focused on the main attraction, Jesus. This nativity is the one I find the most poignant. None of us match, none is like the other, no one is perfect. Yet at the feet of Jesus, we're all equal. It doesn't matter how much money I make, nor does it matter how much you make. It doesn't matter if I've known Jesus all my life, and you on your deathbed finally come to accept his lordship in your life. Jesus saves us, as is, without reservation.

Merry Christmas

2 comments:

janelle said...

Miriam, the only thing that could make that last set better is if every piece were broken...because that's really how we come to Jesus.

Thank you for sharing your 3 sets-mostly the last one; thats the one I relate to.

Carey said...

Love how you have a reminder for yourself with each set. Especially the last one.