About Me

My photo
Pressing on, in Jesus Name.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Gifts

Here's a picture of Mark using a gift I gave him for this past Christmas. It was such a joy to give it to him! I couldn't wait for him to open the special package I'd created for him to see it in. It was one of those gifts that was so big though, that the way that I gave it to him initially I took photos as I wrapped it, then wrapped up the photos and presented those to him to "open" the package. He was delighted with the gift, but at the time had no use for it, other that at some point in the future when he was ready to make some wine he'd have the fruit press to squeeze the juice with. So yesterday when he got the press out to use for starting a new batch of wine, it was like Christmas all over again for me!
I wonder if that's how God feels when I use the gifts he's given me? When I became a believer, he equipped me with gifts and passions, some that I would be able to use right away, some that perhaps I had to unpack a bit, and some that I couldn't use at the time or didn't use because I didn't fully appreciate them. But when I "get out" a gift he's given and use it, I can't help but think that God delights in that act, just as much as I delighted in Mark's act of using the fruit press I carefully chose just for him. I knew at the time I was buying it that it would be perfect for him, that he would absolutely love it, and that it fell right in line with his passion and hobby. But rather than giving it to him immediately after I bought it, I hid it away for a few months in a friend's garage, then when the time was right, I brought it out of storage to gift wrap it and put it under the tree. Now while it was under the tree, Mark knew it was for him, because I'd labeled it as such, but while it was under the tree, he had to wait to discover what it was until the time was right. And I took such joy in watching Mark open the gift!
On the other hand, I have a gift I'd received from my youngest daughter for Mother's Day this past May. It too was a gift she'd carefully chosen for me, hidden for a while, gift wrapped appropriately and given to me at just the right moment. At that moment I discovered it was a candle that she'd selected for me. What have I done with it since that moment? I put it back in the box, set it on my night table next to my bed and remembered that I'd been given a gift. But I never used it! From time to time when my daughter was in my room she'd notice it and ask with a sad tone to her voice, "Mommy, when are you going to use the Mother's Day gift I gave you?" I've been depriving her of the joy of watching me enjoy the gift she gave me. Yet I've ignored using it, or put it off saying I was waiting for the moment to be just right.
How often do I do that with God? How often have I put off using the gifts he's given me, with one excuse or another, depriving (disappointing) him? Plenty I'm sure...
I think I'll go light a candle, and show it to Leah, I think she'll like it...

No comments: